What Temazepam capsule is and what is it used for?
Temazepam is a hypnotic medicine belongs to a family of drugs called benzodiazepines. It releases your anxiety, relax your muscles, prevent fits and make you fall asleep. Temazepam capsules are used for the following conditions:
- To treat your sleeplessness (insomnia) caused by anxiety
- To make you less anxious but more comfortable before minor surgeries
How Temazepam capsule works?
It works by enhancing the inhibitory properties of GABA by binding with GABA receptors that are located in limbic, neocortical and mesencephalic reticular system. Hence it shows anxiolytic, antidepressant, sedative, hypnotic and anticonvulsant properties.
What do you need to know before taking Temazepam capsule?
Do not take this medicine
- If you are allergic to temazepam or any other benzodiazepine
- If you are suffering from myasthenia gravis
- If you are suffering from sleep apnoea syndrome (irregular breathing or breathing stop for short duration during sleep)
- If you are suffering from severe hepatic issues
- If you are suffering from lung infection
Warnings and Precautions
You must consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking Temazepam capsule
- If you have a history of drug abuse or alcohol consumption
- If you have some hepatic or renal issue
- If you are suffering from depression
- If you are suffering from schizophrenia
- If you have to regularly get up during night (as this medicine induces sleep)
- This medicine is not recommended for children less than 18 years of age.
- Do not take temazepam capsule with alcohol as it will enhance the effect of temazepam.
- Take this medicine only if you are able to sleep for at least 7-8 hours after taking this medicine.
Interaction with other medicines
You must tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already on a therapy with any of the following medication before taking temazepam capsule
- Any other sleep inducing medicine like nitrazepam etc
- Any other anxiolytic or antidepressant medicine
- Any other medicine to treat mental health issues
- Medicine to treat alcohol dependence like disulfiram
- Medicine to treat fits, convulsions or seizures
Pregnancy and breast feeding
If you are pregnant or breast feeding mother or planning to have a baby you must consult your doctor before taking this medicine. If you take this medicine during your late pregnancy or for a longer duration during pregnancy, the baby might born with withdrawal symptoms. Temazepam also excreted in breast milk.
Effect of Temazepam capsule on your ability to drive and operate machines
Temazepam usage makes you feel sleepy and causes drowsiness and loss of consciousness. Therefore do not drive or operate machines if you are taking this medicine or unless you get to know that you are not having any of the above mentioned symptoms.
How to take Temazepam capsule?
Always take this medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor or follow the instructions of your pharmacist.
For the treatment of Insomnia you can take 10-20mg of temazepam, 30 minutes before sleep. The maximum recommended dose is 30-40mg.
If you are taking temazepam before surgery the recommended dose is 20-40mg, 30 minutes before surgery.
For elderly patients the recommended dose is half of the adult dose of temazepam.
If you are suffering with liver or kidney problems tell your doctor as you need a lesser dose of temazepam capsule.
What if you take more Temazepams capsules than you should?
The symptoms of over dosage are drowsiness, confusion, lethargy, uncontrollable movements, difficulty in breathing. In serious cases you can go into coma as well. Therefore, if you mistakenly taken more
dose of temazepam capsule than recommended you must immediately contact your doctor or visit nearby hospital or emergency department.
What if you forget to take a dose of Temazepams capsule?
If you forget to take your scheduled dose of temazepam, take it as soon as you remember only if you are unable to sleep. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
If you want to stop taking Temazepams
If you want to stop taking temazepam capsule, you must gradually decrease your dose (called dose tapering) in order to avoid withdrawal effects as this medicine causes dependency. The withdrawal effects are: depression, irritable behavior, insomnia, confusion, fits, feeling of being sick etc. Therefore, do not suddenly stop taking this medicine rather consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Side effects associated with use of Temazepam capsule
Like all of the other medicines, Temazepam also have some side-effects, though not everybody gets them. Some of the side effects are as follows: restlessness, drowsiness, dizziness, muscle weakness, agitation, irritability, aggressiveness, violent anger, sleeping difficulties, nightmares, hallucinations, personality changes, lack of desire for sex, headache, double vision, dry mouth, diarrhea, skin rash, abnormal behavior or false beliefs etc.
How to store Temazepams Capsule?
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date, which is mentioned on the blister and carton pack after ‘EXP’. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Store temazepam capsule below 25°C.